Senators Reveal Names of 22 Illinois Nursing Homes with Seriously Poor Care
Placing a loved one in a nursing home can be a difficult, heartbreaking and confusing decision. As nursing home attorneys, we see why this can be so painful for families. They want the best care for their loved one, but often don’t know how to distinguish between great facilities and ones that may be dangerous for their family member.
Two Pennsylvania Senators recently made that job a little bit easier.
Senators Robert Casey and Patrick Toomey wrote to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) demanding answers about a program called the Special Focus Facility Initiative (SFF). The SFF program works with nursing homes that have a record of substandard care, performing extra inspections at these facilities, and keeping track of them in an effort to help them improve their quality of care to patients.
Currently, there are 85 poorly performing nursing homes on the SFF list, which has been and remains available to the public.
What most people don’t know is that there are 400 additional facilities who also consistently provide poor care to patients, whose names are not released to the public by CMS. These 400 facilities are candidates for the SFF program—with almost identical problems as the facilities on the SFF list—but they have not been selected for the program because there is not enough money at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid.
The senators wanted to know why the CMS was hiding the names of these potentially dangerous facilities from the public and pressed them to release the list of all of the SFF candidates.
When CMS dragged its feet, the senators decided to release the names of the additional 400 nursing homes themselves, so that families could make informed choices when placing their loved one in a nursing home.
Below are the names of the poorly performing nursing homes in Illinois. For the names of all the SFF candidate nursing homes around the country, see here.
SFF Candidate Nursing Homes in Illinois
- GREENTREE OF BRADLEY REHAB, 650 Kinzie Ave., Bradley IL 60915
- CHAMPAIGN URBANA NURSING & REHAB, 302 Burwash Ave, Savoy, IL 61874
- SWANSEA REHAB HEALTH CARE, 1405 N 2nd St, Swansea, IL 62226
- WEST SUBURBAN NURSING & REHAB CENTER 311 Edgewater Dr., Bloomingdale, IL 60108
- GENERATIONS AT MCKINLEY COURT, 500 W McKinley Ave, Decatur, IL 62526
- GARDENVIEW MANOR 14792 Catlin Tilton Rd, Danville, IL 61834
- GENERATIONS AT MCKINLEY PLACE, 2530 N Monroe St, Decatur, IL 62526
- CHAMPAIGN COUNTY NURSING HOME, 500 Art Bartell Rd, Urbana, IL 61802
- ACCOLADE HEALTHCARE OF PONTIAC 300 W Lowell Ave, Pontiac, IL 61764
- ALDEN TERRACE OF MCHENRY REHAB, 803 Royal Dr., McHenry, IL 60050
- WILLOW CREST NURSING PAVILION, 515 N Main St, Sandwich, IL 60548
- SOUTH ELGIN REHAB & HCC, 746 W Spring St, South Elgin, IL 60177
- EDWARDSVILLE NSG & REHAB CTR 401 St Mary’s Dr., Edwardsville, IL 62025
- HELIA HEALTHCARE OF BELLEVILLE, 101 S Belt E W, Belleville, IL 62220
- HELIA HEALTHCARE OF CHAMPAIGN 1915 S Mattis Ave, Champaign, IL 61821
- ELEVATE CARE WAUKEGAN, 2222 14th St, Waukegan, IL 60085
- LANDMARK OF RICHTON PARK, 22660 S Cicero Ave, Richton Park, IL 60471
- BURGIN MANOR, 900 E Scott St, Olney, IL 62450
SFF Nursing Homes in Illinois
- APERION CARE BLOOMINGTON, 1509 N, 1514, Calhoun St, Bloomington, IL 61701
- APERION CARE CAPITOL, 555 W Carpenter St, Springfield, IL 62702
- APERION CARE CAIRO, 2001 Cedar St, Cairo, IL 62914
- FRANKLIN GROVE LIVING AND REHAB, 502 N State St, Franklin Grove, IL 61031
If you are considering placing an aging family member in a nursing home, knowing which facilities are on this list and avoiding them if at all possible, could keep your loved one safe. Of course, if you have no choice but to place your loved one in one of these facilities, your eyes will be open, and you will know you must remain extra-vigilant during your loved one’s care there.
If your family member has been injured or killed because of substandard care, neglect, or abuse at one of these nursing homes or another senior living facility, please call our experienced nursing home attorneys at 630-527-1595 for help. Your initial interview is free and confidential.
We are experienced in handling nursing home abuse and neglect cases. We can get your loved one into a safe situation, inform the authorities, and gather the evidence needed to make your case and get compensation for injuries, pain, and suffering. Your loved ones deserve to age with dignity and respect. The Collins Law Firm can help.
See the Senators’ full report on the SFF program:
The full list of SFF nursing homes in the U.S.:
The full list of SFF candidate nursing homes in the U.S.: