Results for Our Clients
- $8.5 million recovery of a Wrongful death bus accident case.
- $7.2 million recovery in a toxic tort Personal injury case.
- $4.7 million jury verdict in a Medical negligence lawsuit against a Chicago-area hospital.
- $2.6 million recovery in a toxic tort Personal injury case.
- $2.5 million Premises liability settlement on a woman who was injured when she fell backwards down an open flight of stairs at a local restaurant.
- $2 million Personal injury verdict in DuPage. The recovery was reached (despite tort immunity being asserted by the defendant) in a case against a local school district for injuries suffered by a high school student in a fall during gym class.
- $1.4 million Product liability settlement in a case where the client was injured by a defective consumer product.
- $1.35 million recovery in a Car accident case.
- $1.3 million recovery in a toxic tort Personal injury case.
- $1.1 million Product liability recovery in case where a young man died after ingesting synthetic marijuana/cannabinoid.
- $1.05 million jury verdict in a Wrongful death case. This recovery is the largest ever recorded in Knox County, Illinois.
- $1 million Truck Accident Recovery in a Semi-Truck Crash. Our client was rear-ended at a low rate of speed while in traffic on I-55 in Chicago, causing a concussion and neck injuries that required a cervical fusion. The truck driver was texting and driving in traffic, and the trucking company owner testified that he did not think texting and driving was unsafe.
- $1 million Motor Vehicle Recovery in a Rollover DUI case. Our client suffered catastrophic leg injuries as a result of a drunk driving roll-over crash of a recreational vehicle, a UTV, while on a fishing trip to Wisconsin. The client underwent four surgeries and had permanent scarring, pain, and numbness. This case was listed as a Top 100 Motor Vehicle Settlement in America in 2019.
- $900,000 Trucking Accident settlement. Our client was rear ended and recommended for spine surgery.
- $750,000 Premises liability settlement for a woman who slipped and fell on a wet floor in a national restaurant chain. As a result of the fall, our client suffered a torn labrum which required surgical intervention. Our personal injury attorneys recovered damages for this client due to her serious injuries.
- $550,000 Policy limit settlement. Our client suffered a traumatic brain injury after being rear-ended at high speed. Before filing suit, the insurance company's best offer was $23,000. We settled before trial for the full insurance policy. causing
- $500,000 Motor vehicle recovery for a man injured in a ride share accident. The man was a passenger in a ride share vehicle when it rear ended another car. Our client injured his back and required a cervical fusion. The lawsuit filed by our personal injury attorneys sought damages for our client due to the injuries he suffered as a result of the accident.
- $450,000 Premises liability recovery for a high school student who fell from an elevated platform in a backyard while playing at a friend's house unsupervised. As a result of the fall, our client sustained injuries which required back surgery. Our personal injury attorneys recovered damages for this client because of the severity of her injuries.
- $450,000 Motor vehicle settlement for a pedestrian who was hit in the cross walk in a western suburb of Chicago. Our client was struck while crossing the street, when a driver ran the stop sign. Injuries included a tibial plateau fracture which required surgery. Damages were recovered for the client by our personal injury attorneys because of the serious nature of the injuries sustained.
- $346,000 jury verdict in a Dram shop case against a south suburban sports bar.
- $325,000 Car accident verdict. Our client was hit head-on by an uninsured motorist. We took our client's case to arbitration and won $225,000. State Farm rejected the arbitration award and demanded a trial. We beat them at trial and secured a verdict of $325,000 which was $100,000 more than the arbitration award.
- $300,000 DUI Crash, Our client was rear-ended by a drunk driver and required surgery for her injuries. We won motions for punitive damages, proved the insurance company acted in bad faith, and settled the case for three times the insurance policy limits.
- $275,000 Premises liability settlement in case where a woman was injured by a defect on the premises of a local business.
- $250,000 Pedestrian accident settlement. Our client was walking in a crosswalk when she was struck by a car. She fractured her pelvis and was hospitalized. The case was settled for the total insurance policy.
$250,000 Nursing home wrongful death settlement. Our client suffered an unwitnessed fall which led to her death several days later. The nursing home settled the case shortly before trial for the remainder of their available insurance plus cash out of pocket from the facility.
$225,000 Nursing home fall, broken hip. Our client fell twice in a matter of days while at an assisted living facility, breaking her hip and resulting in the need for hip surgery.
$200,00 nursing home fall. Our client was admitted to the nursing home for rehabilitation after hip surgery. She was only in the facility for 24 hours before she fell twice, breaking her opposite hip and requiring a second hip surgery in a week
- Confidential recovery: claim on behalf of a client who contracted cancer after years of Environmental exposure to several chemicals known as volatile organic compounds or VOCs.
- Confidential recovery in medical malpractice case involving an orthopedic surgery.
- $363 million verdict in a toxic tort case where a woman contracted breast cancer after years of exposure to ethylene oxide.
- $34.5 million recovery in a Vapor intrusion case.
- $16.9 million class action Groundwater contamination recovery.
- $10 million class action Groundwater contamination recovery.
- $8.1 million recovery in a class action lawsuit over air, soil and Groundwater contamination.
- $7.2 million court approval of Environmental class action cases (Madison, Wisconsin).
- $5.5 million recovery in Groundwater contamination case (Mallard Lake).
- $2.5 million recovery in Methane gas contamination case (Mallard Lake).
- $1.9 million recovery of Groundwater contamination case (Wauconda).
- Over $250 million in resolutions of credit facilities for numerous financial institutions.
- Over $40 million recovered in arbitrations for condominium owners.
- $7.5 million class action recovery.
- $5.7 million arbitration win (behalf of owners of condominiums in Hawaii).
- $4 Million recovery. Our client's home, located in a downtown Chicago high-rise, was flooded after the defendant (a general contractor) hit a sprinkler head in the unit above our client.
- $3 million jury verdict in a property damage case. The firm's clients, owners of eight townhomes in Tinley Park, suffered multiple floods at their homes as the result of development activity on adjacent vacant land.
- $2.35 million jury verdict in business dispute case.
- $1.8 million recovery for its client in a breach of contract case over the failure of a large life insurance company to pay out the proceeds of a life insurance policy.
- $800,000 lender collection recovery. The firm was able to secure payment of cash and a transfer of real property for the lender in the collection proceedings.
- $650,000 in settled claims in just two months in four separate business matters.
Paul's Law: New Legislation Aimed at Combating the Abuse of the Disabled
On August 19, 2011, Illinois Governor Patrick Quinn signed "Paul's Law", providing dramatically enhanced protections for the developmentally disabled who live in Illinois homes, and for their families. This law was borne out of tragedy earlier this year, when Paul McCann — for whom the new law is named — died at his group home in Charleston, Illinois, after being beaten by the health care workers who were supposed to protect him.
2006 Right-to-Know Law: New Legislation Aimed at Notifying Citizens of Soil and Groundwater Contamination Threats
The Collins Law Firm was instrumental in the passing of the 2006 Right-To-Know Law that requires the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency to notify citizens when contamination in soil or groundwater poses a threat of exposure to the public. The Right-To-Know notifications include information about the contaminant, a description of the potential adverse health effects and a recommendation that water wells be tested.Media Mentions
CNN 2/12: Shawn Collins speaks with Dr. Drew Pinsky: On February 3rd, Shawn appeared on CNN with Dr. Drew Pinsky. The show was exploring whether there was an environmental cause for the neurological disorders being experienced by many citizens, including high school teenagers, in LeRoy, New York. During his appearance on Dr. Drew's show, Shawn called for a full investigation of a massive chemical spill that had occurred years earlier in the town, and for the testing of the air, soil and water at the local high school which most of the victims attend. You can view the full transcript here (Shawn's contribution is about halfway down the transcript).