Leonard E. HudsonSenior Associate
Len Hudson focuses on high stakes commercial litigation, helping people and companies in complex disputes.
Len has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in courtrooms and boardrooms across the country. He has deep experience in business and corporate disputes involving a wide variety of industries and claims, ranging from day-to-day operational disputes to sophisticated class actions and regulatory matters.
Len's experience includes:
- Commercial disputes (contract, fraud, trademark enforcement, antitrust, unfair competition)
- Franchising and dealer terminations and regulatory compliance
- Securities & commodities enforcement and regulatory compliance (SEC, FINRA, CME, ICE)
- Internal investigations
- Intellectual property (trademark enforcement, trade secrets)
- Restrictive covenants and trade secrets
- Product liability
- Technology litigation (software development, technology licensing)
- Arbitration (AAA, JAMS, and FINRA)
- Contract negotiations
Len has engaged in significant pro bono work, including handling the post-conviction appeal of a death penalty case, defending the treasurer of a non-profit group against claims of accounting misconduct, and helping a pre-trial detainee obtain major surgery.
Before joining The Collins Law Firm, Len practiced for a nearly a decade at the Chicago office of a large international law firm where he focused on complex commercial disputes and led the firm's retail, franchise and distribution team. Len recently completed a career sabbatical during which he achieved a lifelong dream of living on a sailboat with his wife and three young children. He now lives in Naperville.
J.D., John Marshall Law School, 2007
magna cum laude
Law Review Executive Editor
Distinguished Scholar (full tuition scholarship)
Judicial Extern to Hon. Anne M. Burke, Illinois Supreme Court
Judicial Extern to Hon. Themis Karnezis, Illinois Appellate Court
CALI Awards for the highest grade in Torts, Property, and Constitutional Law
B.S., Illinois State University, 1997
magna cum laude
U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Recovered $3 million for a small business owner in breach of contract action against a public company.
- Recovered $1 million for a technology company in a software development dispute against a former customer that claimed the product was inferior.
- Recovered 100% of the amount owed to a beverage company in a breach of contract case.
- Won a trial in Illinois state court on behalf of a propane distributor in a product liability case.
- Handled over one hundred franchise disputes involving some of largest franchise networks, including terminations, non-renewals, contract enforcement, and fraud.
- Negotiated a global settlement in a mass action of over 30 franchisees.
- Negotiated a settlement at mediation of a complex commercial dispute between a manufacturer and a distributor that allowed the parties to resume their business relationship and saved the client from paying millions of dollars.
- Won a judgment and complete dismissal of all claims against the receiver of a failed bank.
- Defended a local manufacturer in a high stakes lawsuit by a competitor claiming $300 million in damages for alleged antitrust violations and theft of trade secrets.
- Won dismissal and judgment awarding attorneys’ fees in a frivolous breach of contract claim involving commercial lending.
- Defended a public company CEO in a securities fraud class action seeking over $150 million.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of a propane distributor in a fire/explosion case.
- Defended individuals and companies in various securities and commodities regulatory enforcement matters brought by the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC), FINRA, CME, CBOT, NYMEX, and ICE.
- Won a temporary restraining order in federal court to enforce trademark rights.
- Won a summary judgment upholding a restrictive covenant / non-compete agreement.