Allergan Breast Implant Lawsuit Attorneys
The Illinois textured breast implant attorneys at The Collins Law Firm are now accepting Allergan breast implant claims for women who currently have or who have previously had the Allergan BIOCELL textured breast implants that are linked to anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL). We are accepting clients who have been diagnosed with the cancer linked to the implants, clients who have had the implants removed because of the recall, clients with the implants who have the precursor symptoms to ALCL, as well as women who have the implants and have plans to have them removed. If any of these apply to you, please contact our defective product lawyers as soon as possible as there is a time limit, or statute of limitations, to file your claim. Call us at 630-527-1595 or fill out our contact form for a free consultation to determine if you have an Allergan BIOCELL breast implant lawsuit and are entitled to compensation.
About 400,000 women get breast implants in the U.S. each year, the majority (75%) for cosmetic reasons, and the rest for reconstruction surgery after breast cancer. No matter the reasons for getting breast implants, women who opt for them have the right to expect them to be safe. And most of the time they are. Last year, however, officials from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) began warning the public that they were seeing more cases of anaplastic large cell lymphoma, a rare Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, linked to one type of breast implant.The FDA Blames Allergan Breast Implants
The breast implants that have been linked to anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) are the BIOCELL textured breast implants and tissue expanders made by Allergan. According to the FDA, their “analysis demonstrated that the risk of BIA-ALCL with Allergan BIOCELL textured implants is approximately 6 times the risk of BIA-ALCL with textured implants from other manufacturers marketing in the U.S. and continued distribution of Allergan's BIOCELL textured breast implants would likely cause serious, adverse health consequences, including death.” As of July 2019, 573 cases of breast implant-associated anaplastic large-cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) have been reported, with 481 of these involving Allergan implants. And tragically, at least 33 women have died of BIA-ALCL.
The textured implants are used because they can reduce the risk of complications from surgery and their texture helps the implant stay in place. Luckily, these types of implants are fairly uncommon in the United States and make up only 10% of the breast implants sold here. Now, if you’re worried because you or someone you love has a textured breast implant, you may not need to be. The only textured breast implants that have been linked to BIA-ALCL are the ones that are macro-textured. These macro-textured implants make up less than 5% of the breast implants sold here in the United States.Which Breast Implants Have Been Recalled?
On July 24th, 2019, in response to mounting evidence of a connection, the FDA took action and requested that Allergan recall the types of implants that have been associated with anaplastic large cell lymphoma. Allergan complied with the FDA and globally recalled the BIOCELL textured breast implants and tissue expanders. The recall affects 246,381 breast implants made between July 25, 2014-June 21, 2019. The complete list of recalled products can be found here:
Allergan Natrelle Saline-Filled Breast Implants (formerly McGhan RTV Saline-Filled Mammary Implant) approved under P990074. The following are the textured styles:
- Style 163 – BIOCELL Textured Shaped Full Height, Full Projection Saline Breast Implants
- Style 168 – BIOCELL Textured Round Moderate Profile Saline Breast Implants, also referred to as 168MP (168 Moderate Profile)
- Style 363 – BIOCELL Textured Shaped Moderate Height, Full Projection Saline Breast Implants, Allergan catalog includes 363LF, or 363 Low Height Full Projection
- Style 468 – BIOCELL Textured Shaped Full Height Moderate Projection Saline Breast Implants
- Style 110 – BIOCELL Textured Round Moderate Projection Gel Filled Breast Implants
- Style 115 – BIOCELL Textured Round Midrange Projection Gel Filled Breast Implants
- Style 120 - BIOCELL Textured Round High Projection Gel Filled Breast Implants
- Style TRL - Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL Textured Responsive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TRLP - Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL Textured Responsive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TRM - Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL Textured Responsive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TRF - Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL Textured Responsive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TRX - Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL Textured Responsive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TCL – Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL Textured Cohesive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TCLP – Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL Textured Cohesive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TCM – Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL Textured Cohesive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TCF – Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL Textured Cohesive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TCX – Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL Textured Cohesive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TSL – Natrelle BIOCELL Textured Soft Touch Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TSLP – Natrelle BIOCELL Textured Soft Touch Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TSM – Natrelle BIOCELL Textured Soft Touch Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TSF – Natrelle BIOCELL Textured Soft Touch Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TSX – Natrelle BIOCELL Textured Soft Touch Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style 410FM
- Style 410FF
- Style 410MM
- Style 410 MF
- Style 410 FL
- Style 410 ML
- Style 410 LL
- Style 410 LM
- Style 410 LF
- Style 410 FX
- Style 410 MX
- Style 410 LX
Allergan tissue expanders for the breast that have BIOCELL texturing originally cleared as:
- Natrelle 133 Plus Tissue Expander (K143354)
- Natrelle 133 Tissue Expander with Suture Tabs (K102806)
Breast implant-associated anaplastic large-cell lymphoma is not breast cancer. It is a rare kind of Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, a cancer of the immune system. This cancer, although it occurs in the breast area, does not affect breast tissue but rather affects the scar tissue that forms around a breast implant. In advanced stages, this cancer can spread to nearby lymph nodes or throughout the body.
The first thing to address regarding anaplastic large cell lymphoma is that the rates of this cancer are extremely low, even for those with Allergan’s textured implants. A recent review of the epidemiological data calculated the incident rate at 1 in 2832. That makes it fairly unlikely that you will develop anaplastic large cell lymphoma. That is perhaps why the FDA is not recommending the removal of these breast implants for those without symptoms, even with the recall. However, it is important to be aware of the cancer and to know the symptoms.
Some common symptoms of BIA-ALCL are:
- Swelling and pain around the implant site
- An asymmetrical look to the breasts
- A lump in the breast or armpit
- A hardening of the breast
- Redness and rashes
If you experience any of these symptoms or other changes, talk to your doctor about the need for further assessment. Diagnosing this cancer is usually done through a physical exam, imagery, and fluid or tissue samples.
The prognosis for BIA-ALCL is generally good if it is detected in its early stages. Treatment for the cancer is fairly straightforward for most patients: surgical removal of the implants and surrounding scar tissues. Since the cancer is very slow-moving and localized, this is typically the only treatment needed. Some patients with advanced stages of anaplastic large cell lymphoma, however, may need chemotherapy and radiation in addition. It is important to note, however, that this cancer can be serious and even fatal if not treated promptly.Choose the Right Lawyer for Your Breast Implant Lawsuit
Women around the country are filing lawsuits against Allergan, claiming that the company knew of the risks associated with their BIOCELL textured implants long before they were recalled. If you have been diagnosed with breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma or you have had the implants removed because of the recall, you may have a legal claim. It’s important to know, however, that you may have limited time to file a lawsuit. Please reach out to the Allergan textured breast implant lawyers at The Collins Law Firm as soon as possible to preserve and protect your rights. We can help you determine if you have a case and fight to get you any compensation you are due. To learn more about filing a textured breast implant lawsuit, call us at (630) 527-1595 for a free consultation today.
If you are considering replacing your implants, please read our blog.
Check here for more information: