Peterson Park Health Care Center is a nursing home located at 6141 North Pulaski Road in Chicago, Illinois. It is a large, 196-bed facility–with for-profit ownership—that participates in Medicaid and Medicare. Like many other long-term care facilities across Illinois, Peterson Park is facing a major COVID-19 outbreak. 126 residents and staff have tested positive for COVID-19 and 17 people have died as of May 12th, 2020.
US News & World Report gives the facility 2 out of 5 stars. Medicare.gov gives Peterson Park Health Care Center three out of five stars (average) on based on recent staffing levels and health inspections.
In 2019, government health inspections found 4 health deficiencies; in 2018, 14 health deficiencies were found, and in 2017, 10 deficiencies were found. In the last 3 years, the Peterson Park Health Care Center has had 10 complaints, filed by residents or others, which resulted in citations. 2019 health inspections found that the facility failed to:
- Provide safe and appropriate respiratory care for a resident when needed.
- Ensure drugs and biologicals used in the facility are labeled in accordance with currently accepted professional principles; and all drugs and biologicals must be stored in locked compartments, separately locked, compartments for controlled drugs.
- Provide and implement an infection prevention and control program.
- Report suspected abuse, theft, or neglect to the proper authorities in a timely manner.
A 2018 health inspection also found that Peterson Park:
- Failed to provide appropriate catheter care, a program to prevent urinary tract infections, and proper care to incontinent residents
- Failed to ensure the facility was free from accident hazards and provide adequate supervision of residents to prevent accidents
- Failed to follow an effective infection control program
- Failed to provide appropriate treatment and services to a resident who shows signs of or is diagnosed with a mental disorder
- Failed to develop a complete care plan—prepared and reviewed by a healthcare team–within a week of assessing a patient
- Failed to ensure food and beverages are palatable, and at a safe and appetizing temperature.
- Failed to provide the pharmaceutical services needed by residents or obtain the services of a licensed pharmacist.
Do You Have a COVID-19 Nursing Home Lawsuit?
If your loved one is suffering from an infection or injury which you believe is due to negligence or abuse at the Peterson Park Health Care Center, or if they have recently passed away after contracting COVID-19, it is important that you speak with an experienced lawyer as soon as possible. Contact the Illinois nursing home attorneys at The Collins Law Firm by filling out our contact form or calling us at (630) 527-1595. We offer FREE evaluations for all nursing home cases. Let us help your loved one.
For more information on COVID-19 at Illinois nursing homes, please read our nursing home blog.