Bria of Geneva, a for-profit nursing home, is located at 1101 E. State St. in Geneva, Illinois. They participate in both Medicare and Medicaid programs and have 107 certified beds. Bria of Geneva, like many other nursing homes in Chicago’s western suburbs, is facing a major outbreak of COVID-19. Since April, 75 of their 91 residents and 37 of their employees have tested positive for COVID -19. Sadly, 24 residents–more than a quarter of all the residents at the facility–have died. Lawsuits have been filed and families want answers
U.S. News & World Report rates Bria of Geneva as average, giving them 3 out of 5 stars. Medicare.gov gives them four out of five stars (above average) based on staffing levels and recent health inspections.
Medicare Health Inspections
Bria of Geneva has received 7 complaints filed by residents or others that resulted in citations in the last 3 years. In 2019, government health inspections found 12 health deficiencies, 11 deficiencies in 2018, and 9 deficiencies in 2017. Bria of Geneva’s 2019 health inspection found that they had failed to:
- Provide and implement an infection prevention and control program.
- Honor the resident’s right to a dignified existence and to exercise his or her rights.
- Provide residents with a safe, clean, comfortable, and home-like environment
- Provide care by qualified persons according to each resident’s written plan of care.
- Assist residents with performing activities of daily living if they need help.
- Provide appropriate treatment and care according to doctor’s orders, resident’s wishes, and appropriate goals.
- Provide appropriate and effective bedsore care and a program to prevent new bedsores from developing.
- Ensure that the facility is free from accident hazards and provides enough supervision to prevent accidents.
- Provide appropriate incontinence care for residents, appropriate catheter care, and appropriate care to prevent urinary tract infections.
- Have a licensed nurse in charge of each shift and enough nursing staff every day to meet the needs of every resident.
- Provide for each resident at the facility food prepared in a form designed to meet their individual need.
Do You Have a COVID-19 Nursing Home Lawsuit?
If your loved one is suffering from infection or injury due to possible negligence or abuse at Bria of Geneva, or if your relative has passed away from COVID-19 or another cause while residing at the facility, contact the Illinois nursing home attorneys at The Collins Law Firm as soon as you can. We can help you determine if you have a claim against the nursing home. Fill out our contact form or call us at (630) 527-1595 for a FREE evaluation of your case.
For more information on COVID-19 at nursing homes, please read our nursing home blog.